Immigration to the US as a Nurse

Visa Options for Foreign-Born Nurses Immigrating to the US

Since nurses are currently in high demand in the United States, there are many ways to immigrate there as a nurse. Here are some of the most popular ways you can do so:

H-1B Visa

If you are looking to work in the U.S. as a foreign nurse on a temporary basis, you will want to apply for an H-1B visa. An H-1B is a popular temporary work visa for foreign nationals who have a job offer from a U.S. employer to work in a “specialty occupation”, such as nursing.

US Green Card

Your United States employer may also sponsor you for a green card. They must first offer you a full-time, permanent nurse position. This employer must also complete a process known as “labor certification” on your behalf (PERM).

This application needs to be completed prior to travel to the United States and the visa must be obtained before immigrating legally.

TN Visa

The TN Visa is only available to Mexican and Canadian nurses. Mexican and Canadian nurses may work in the US with a special TN visa if the individual has an offer of employment, a license to practice in their home country, and pass the NCLEX and state licensure requirements.